Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"space" age

Get up and go talk to someone. It's called human interaction, and it's a beautiful, beautiful thing.
- Simon Sinek


We're all aware of how fast technology has been growing and how available they are now to people. I remember when I was a kid back in the 80's, I'd go out in the street and play with my friends all afternoon till I drop due to exhaustion. Toys of our choice: rocks, sticks, slippers, plastic containers, all sorts of junk. And it was just as fun as having expensive toys, because kids back then usually don't pay attention to the price of their stuff. Kids these days are different; they're pinned to their computer and gadgets playing games with virtual or remote playmates from dawn till dusk. So now I don't define 'space age' as how modern our gadgets are; it's how much space we put between us and other human beings, and 'alien technology' is how we actually 'alienate' ourselves from others. It's alarming!


Even so, I sincerely doubt that with their genius minds they'd be able to create any touch technology as effective as the human touch.

"If he hits you once..."
Unfortunately, not all human interaction is pretty.

I was alarmed and saddened by what my friend told me the other night. Her husband verbally abuses her, humiliates her in public, and hurts her physically. Frankly, I never expected her to be a victim of domestic violence. I've known her in our high school years. We were in the same "clique" and I always looked to her as this strong woman personality, an alpha female. So I was really shocked by her revelation. I told her she should kick her good-for-nothing husband out of the house for good, and end her otherwise eternal suffering. She said she can't; she doesn't want a broken home for her kids.

That was a depressing realization: my friend decided to accept her fate and I can't do anything about it except pray that things will turn out for the better, or wait until her husband finally kills her.







No comments: